Inchathotty Suspension bridge and Kayaking
Inchathotty is a small village on the banks of periyer river on Thattekad-Neriyamangalam road. Inchathotty started attracting visitors after the opening of a suspension bridge across periyar river and is the longest such bridge in Kerala with a length of 183 meters (600feet) and width of 1.2 meters (4 feet). Within a short span of time Inchathotty suspension bridge became a popular attraction not only because of the size of the bridge but also the beautiful view it offered.
This narrow pedestrian only bridge suspended high above the Periyar river, provides a panoramic view with Thattekad forest and rubber plantations along the banks.
Inchathotty suspension bridge - Kayaking
Kayaking and pedal boating facilities available near Inchathotty hanging bridge is another factor that attracts a lot of tourists. Here visitors can paddle on the pristine Periyar river and enjoy the greenery on a very low budget. This area of the river is part of the reservoir created by Bhoothattankettu barrage, which makes this place very safe for kayaks due to the slow water flow. Those who are not confident with kayaks can opt for pedal boats which can accommodate a family of 4-5 people.
14 kms from Kothamangalam
9 kms from Neriyamangalam
Thattekad bird sanctuary-11 kms
Best time to visit
Morning or late evening time is the best. Try to avoid hot midday sun.
Inchathotty Travel Guide
- Free large parking area available.
- No restaurants available nearby. A few tea/snacks and ice cream vendors may be present.
- Eco sensitive zone. Do not litter any plastics.
- River is very deep in this area. If you don’t know swimming, be cautious.
- Life jacket is compulsory for water sports.
- This place is not serviced by any agency. So don’t litter or dump your carried food or bottles here.