Located at a distance of 6 kms. from Kothamangalam town in Ernakulam district of Kerala is the beautiful hillock called Ayyappanmudi. A brief soft trek to the top of the vast rocky hill provides you a panoramic view of the surrounding plantations and far away mountains that are part of the western Ghat. This rocky terrain got the name Ayyappanmudi (Mount Ayyappa) due to the presence of a small temple on the summit, devoted to hindu deity lord Ayyappa. The temple is open to devotees only on the first day of each Malayalam month.
Early morning and late evenings are the best time to visit Ayyappanmudi . Refreshing cool breeze and unending greenery on all sides gives you a positive vibe. For devotees, trek to the lone temple on the top of Ayyappanmudi gives the feel of a pilgrimage trip. Visitors can walk on the hundreds of acres of rocky terrain, enjoying the evening cool breeze and sunset.
6 kms from Kothamangalam Town.
Thattekad Bird Sanctuary – 8 kms.
Bhoothathankettu Dam -7 kms.
Inchathotty Suspension bridge – 11 kms.
Elevation – 581m/1906ft
Coordinates – 10°4′9″N 76°39′3″E
Things to know before traveling to Ayyappanmudi.
- Ayyappanmudi is not a developed tourist spot. So there are no facilities available for visitors.
- Remember to carry water and snacks if you plan to spend some time on the top. There are no shops nearby.
- Be careful about slippery rocks and steep cliffs in Ayyappanmudi as there are no safety barriers.
- Do not litter plastic or left overs in the area.
- Respect the rules and traditions near the temple premises.
- Leave the area before it gets dark.
- Do not wander alone into the adjoining bushes and vegetations.